Thursday, June 25, 2009

4th of July


My best friend from High school, Annette, and I recently re-connected. It was like 30 years hadn't even passed, we were like two little High School girls again! Well we certainly have had our share of fun in the past three months and we decided it would be fun to throw a big BBQ on the 4th of July and invite alot of old friends as well as our extended families to join in with us! The funny thing is that she is Vegan, and in her words, she doesn't "eat anything with a face on it, or anything that came out of something with a face on it!" But the thing is that she is so cool about it and understands that it is a personal choice for everyone! When we began inviting people to this barbeque, their first question was, "um what are you barbequing???" with a very apprehensive look on their faces. Well you know me and my sarcastic self...without skipping a beat I threw out, "Vegetables of course! Haven't you ever had a grilled veggie sandwich?" The looks were priceless!!! Of course then I couldn't keep a straight face and had to be honest! OUr actual menu includes Grilled Carne Asada with Tino's secret sauce for basting, Grilled Chicken Breasts, the staples...Hamburger and Hotdogs and of course plenty of salads to go along with that! Then we are making homemade Ice cream and having some ice cold watermelon! Needless to say, we are pretty excited about the 4th of July this year!

One of the truly interesting things that have come from my reconnection with Annette is that we found out that our daughters talk daily on the internet (one lives in Idaho and the other in Central Oregon) and have become very good friends, the thing is that their friendship had been very well established by the time that they found out their mom's were best friends in High School and it was only after Annette and I reconnected that we began talking to our kids about our best friend from high school....the girls in turn began talking to each other through chat about thier moms. My daughter came to me and said, "Mom, it must be the year for reconnections, because Danielle's mom just reconnected with her best friend from High School as well!" I never gave it much thought until I was telling my daughter that the anniversary of the Death of my bf's Husband was approaching, she then asked me if his name was Lonnie? I said, "um, how did you know that?" She said that she didn't but the anniversary of the her friend's dad was also coming up and she just asked because it was odd that there were so many similarities....turns out our daughters are great friends....guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree does it!

No comments:

Post a Comment